Choices reproductive and sexual health
COVID-19 service delivery update - (click to close)
Choices Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinic remains open and our staff are working flexibly to continue to meet your needs while ensuring we keep our community safe.
Although the COVID-19 pandemic is ongoing, it doesn’t mean you should neglect your other health and welllbeing needs.
We have implemented appointment triage measures to minimise the risk for both clients and staff. Our space is large enough to ensure adequate physical distancing can occur and we ask for your assistance in maintaining a minimum of 1.5 metres unless directed by your GP at your appointment.
While sometimes face-to-face appointments will be necessary, we encourage you to book a phone or Telehealth appointment where possible.
Things you might want to book a phone consult rather than come to the clinic for include:
- contraceptive discussions
- initial consults for IUD or Contraceptive Implants (Implanon) insertion
- unplanned pregnancy counselling
- follow up appointments
- HRT and menopause discussions
We can help you decide what type of appointment you need when you call or we will get in contact when you book online.
Please note as a sexual and reproductive health specific service, we do not see patients for the treatment of flu or respiratory symptoms.
Please book online below on this page or call 02 6620 7660.
Please call ahead rather than dropping in during this time.
Choices Reproductive and Sexual Health was formerly known as the Lismore and Kyogle Family Planning Service. We support people to make good choices about reproductive and sexual health. Our nurse and women doctors are here to make you feel comfortable to raise personal and intimate issues you may not wish to speak to your own GP about.
We especially welcome young people, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people who are LGBTIQ and those on low incomes (e.g. health care card).
Services we provide
- Contraceptive advice, prescriptions and products (at affordable prices)
- Condoms and lubricants
- Implanon and IUD insertion (fees apply for IUD insertion)
- Emergency contraception (morning-after pill)
- Vasectomy information and referral
- STI testing (Nurse appointment)
- Pregnancy planning, testing, information, counselling and referral
- Emergency contraception (morning-after pill)
- Fertility assessment and referral
- This clinic supports your right to choose
- Gynaecological investigation and treatment
- Breast examinations
- Information and medical management for menopause
- Cervical screening (these used to be called PAP Smears)
- GP assistance with gender affirmation
- Trans and Gender-diverse sexual health and cervical screening
We know not everyone has had good experiences and memories of doctors and health services. You may wish to be addressed by a different name than the one on your Medicare Card or you may have a fear about the instruments we use. We want to refer to you and your body appropriately for your gender identity so we can make your visits with us as comfortable as possible.
If you would like us to be aware of your situation, please download and complete this request form to make your wishes and preferences clear for our staff, so we can provide care that honours your health, your body and your mind.
And remember, you can always bring a friend for support if that works for you.
At our Lismore clinic below
Level 3/29 Molesworth Street LISMORE 2480
T: 02 6620 7660
F: 02 6620 7661
- Mondays 9.00am-5.00pm
- Thursdays 11.00am-6.00pm
- Saturdays 9.00am-12.00pm
Kyogle is currently closed until further notice. Please call us on 02 6620 7660 for more information.
How are we different?
- All our doctors are WOMEN
- All doctors appointments are BULK-BILLED (Medicare card required). Nurse consultations are always FREE
- We are OPEN ON SATURDAYS
- We offer LONG 30 minute consultations, so you won’t be rushed
- At Choices sexual health check-ups are as normal as a cup to tea, but we get that people sometimes feel a little nervous or weird about them. If you helps you to feel more comfortable, BRING A FRIEND ALONG (we don’t mind!)
- Our women’s health nurse Andrea can ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS on Mondays and Thursday afternoons
- Click the links above to BOOK ONLINE
- We welcome TRAVELLERS, but if you don’t have a Medicare card a service fee applies. Please call us for more information
- YOUNG PEOPLE can come on your own. We can find your Medicare number if you don’t have a Medicare card
- Our accessible examination table is ideal for PEOPLE WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY
Other helpful links
Got an STI? Message previous partners anonymously at letthemknow.org.au
Want a confident, healthy sex life? Check out playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au
Got a burning question but can’t wait to see our amazing nurse Andrea? Ask Nurse Nettie playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/nurse-nettie/
Unplanned pregnancy? Find non-judgemental, all-options support at childrenbychoice.org.au
Want more information about sex in all its wonderful forms? Find out at frank.org.au
Lismore Sexual Health Service provides sexual health screening and treatment, including specialist HIV services in Lismore, Grafton, Tweed and Byron Bay nnswlhd.health.nsw.gov.au/about/community-health/lismore-community-health/sexual-health
Need more information about HIV prevention, support and LGBTIQ health in general? ACON Northern Rivers is HERE for you acon.org.au
To get your own medicare card (15 y/o and up!) https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/medicare-card/how-get-your-own-card-15-years-old