It’s time to get composing and rehearsing!
The Lismore Young Songwriters Competition is a National Youth Week event. Now in its ninth year, it has become a much-loved fixture on the local music scene with young and established musicians alike. Pat Davern (Grinspoon) and Diana Anaid were guest judges in 2018.
The Competition gives young songwriters a chance to kick-start their careers through access to mentors and professional development workshops in composition, song writing and performance.
- The Competition supports talented young songwriters to boost their careers by providing:
- Links to local mentors and industry engagement;
- Media coverage generated by the competition;
- A chance to engage with other emerging young artists;
- An opportunity to perform their music in front of a live audience; and
- The potential to win prizes including paid gigs at Crankfest and the Southern Cross University Deck Bar
Past prizes include: professional recording sessions, photo shoots and film clips; professional performance equipment including RØDE microphones; access to professional APRA workshops and passes to Splendour in the Grass.
There are no specific categories this year.
Please state the genre of your song on your lyrics document.
- Entries open: Friday 1 February
- Entries close: Midnight Monday 25 March
- Finals night: Friday 12 April
There will be two main prizes this year. They will be announced on this page and on our Facebook Page soon.
How to enter
- Be resident in the Northern Rivers
- Be 12-25 years old at the time of entry
- Have parent or guardian consent to enter if under 16 (all band members under 16 must have individual consent to enter)
Lodging your entry
- email mp3 recording of your original song, a recent photo, and a word doc with the song lyrics (with genre identified at top) and a short artist biography to [email protected] by midnight on the closing date
- entry form
- Parental Consent Form (one required for all entrants under 16)
Main terms and conditions
- Entry is open to solo acts, duos, trios and bands – please ensure all songwriters’ names are on the entry form
- Entrants can enter as many songs as they wish in multiple genres
- Previous entrants including finalists and winners can enter
- One entry form is required for each song entered
Download the full Terms and Conditions
Please make all enquiries by email [email protected]
- Social Futures
- headspace Lismore
- Southern Cross University
- Northern Rivers Conservatorium
- Lismore City Council
- North Coast Entertainment Industry Association
- RockingHorse Studios