Reconnect and GIT
Creating positive change for young people
Reconnect assists young people who may be at risk of becoming homeless due to the breakdown of family relationships. We see the young person’s issues in a broader and holistic perspective taking into account the impact of family attachments as well as ruptures. Consequently we seek to address unresolved and ongoing relations ruptures and conflict and look at what kind of alliances would be supportive to the young person. We work on stabilising the young persons living situation and strengthening relationships within the family as well as establishing wider connections in the community.
GIT – Getting It Together (12-18 plus) focuses on young people who may be experiencing alcohol and/or other drug misuse or abuse and who would like more information about alcohol and other drugs. We support young people and their families by focusing on sustainable, positive family relationships with an emphasis on building self-esteem, personal growth and life skills.
Who is Reconnect for?
Our programs support young people aged 12-18 by providing individual counselling, casework, mediation, family therapy and practical support. We also work closely with other services to ensure the best possible outcomes for young people.
How can Reconnect help young people?
We provide a range of support and services that can help young people to:
- Work out stable living arrangements
- Work on ruptures or conflict with their family
- Address any other relationship concerns
- Stay in school even when it gets tough
- Link into training options
- Link into appropriate services, such as programs that help to find employment
- Get income support (if eligible)
How can we work with you?
- We can assist by linking you to informal social networks (i.e. like sporting & social clubs, community groups etc.), organisations and mainstream services.
- We can work with you to identify your goals and overcome any barriers in achieving those goals
- We can advocate on your behalf, or refer you to specialist advocacy services
- We can work with communities, groups and mainstream services so they are more welcoming and inclusive
- We can work with your family, carer and friends to help you to become more confident and build new networks
G.I.T. – Getting it Together
Sometimes it can seem that life is spiralling out of control, causing depression and emotional distress. GIT helps young people with alcohol or drug misuse or abuse issues to create positive change in their lives and stop the downward spiral.
GIT aims to help young people find opportunities for positive change in their life by:
- Helping to create ongoing positive family and community relationships
- Building self-esteem, personal growth and life skills
- Addressing personal issues and health problems
- Education on the impacts of alcohol and other drugs (AoD)
- Promoting harm minimisation and AoD misuse reduction
- Connecting young people to specialist services where appropriate
Reconnect and GIT can provide help to young people in Northern NSW from Tweed Heads to Grafton.
Related programs and services
Do you want to inspire young people? We are on the lookout for energetic people to teach, encourage and inspire our members. If you have skills and interests in fields like: Engineering, Robotics, Coding, Electronics, Science, Technology or Maths - the Lismore...read more
The Gold Coast Homelessness Symposium will be held on Wednesday 7 November, with the topic of focus on Housing, Homelessness and Support for an Ageing Population.read more
Following the review of its first homelessness policy, Tweed Shire Council has incorporated the learnings and now developed a new draft Homelessness Policy (version 2.0). Feedback is open until 13 November 2018.read more
Youth Jobs PaTH is an Australian Government initiative to support young people to gain the skills and work experience they need to get and keep a job. It includes an internship work placement plus financial incentives for businesses to hire eligible young people.read more
Social Futures is the largest provider of Specialist Homelessness Services on the North Coast of NSW. We work with partners to provide a 'no wrong door' approach, so that anyone who needs help is supported. Sadly, more than 3,000 people access our Connecting Home...read more