Opportunity Pathways is a new program that supports people to access education, training and work opportunities with a view to reaching their employment and housing goals. The program is open to people 17 years or older who live in social housing, receive the Rent Choice Subsidy, or who are on the NSW Housing Register.
The program offers flexible and tailored support to participants. This ranges from pre-employment training and help finding a job to ongoing support in their first year in their chosen employment. It also supports them to access housing opportunities in the private sector.
Program Manager Jason McDonald says: “The program creates opportunities for participants to explore careers they may not even dream are open to them. We’re open to new participants calling us to find out if they are suitable and discuss how we can help them achieve their work and housing goals.”
Read the MEDIA RELEASE
What does Opportunity Pathways provide?
Opportunity Pathways helps people who live in social housing to plan and achieve training, employment and housing goals.
Who is Opportunity Pathways for?
People aged 17 or older who:
- Live in public, community or Aboriginal housing OR
- Receive a Rent Choice Subsidy OR
- Are an approved applicant on the NSW Housing Register
What kind of help is available?
- Help in setting your goals and plans
- Access to pre-employment training or retraining
- Help writing your resume and with interview skills
- Support to find, keep or change jobs
- One year of on the job support while you get on your feet
- Practical and financial assistance such as child-care, getting your driver’s licence, fuel vouchers to get to job interviews, etc.
- Help in finding suitable housing
What does it cost?
Nothing! Opportunity Pathways is a FREE program, supported by the NSW Government.
How do I find out more?
If you are eligible (see above) there are THREE WAYS to find out if Opportunity Pathways is right for you:
- Contact us directly by phone or email to discuss your options
- Download and complete our referral form (see below) and return it to us, we’ll contact you.
- Ask your social housing provider or a support person to contact us on your behalf.
Are you a local business wanting to invest in local people?
Opportunity Pathways is a voluntary program, so we can connect you with motivated candidates. We support them through the recruitment process and for up to a year on the job.
We support our participants
- Set goals for getting or changing jobs
- through pre-employment training in your line of work
- write their resume to show off their strengths
- prepare for interviews to build their confidence
- for up to 12 months in the job to help them succeed
As an employer, we can help you
- find motivated workers for your team
- ensure candidates have completed pre-employment training
- retain good staff by supporting them on the job
- build your reputation as an employer of choice
As an Opportunity Pathways employer, you will help to break the cycle of reliance on social housing and contribute to increasing social and economic participation in our community.