Social Futures is the largest provider of Specialist Homelessness Services on the North Coast of NSW. We work with partners to provide a ‘no wrong door’ approach, so that anyone who needs help is supported. Sadly, more than 3,000 people access our Connecting Home service each year and almost a third of them are aged 16-24.
According to peak body Homelessness Australia :
- The 2016 Census found that there were 116,000 Australians experiencing homelessness on Census night.
- Two in every five homeless people are under the age of 25.
- On any given night in Australia, 1 in 200 people are homeless/
- The main causes of homelessness are poverty, unaffordable rents, and family violence/
- Only 7% of those who were homeless on Census night were sleeping rough. The vast majority of homelessness is hidden people in crisis accommodation, rooming houses, caravan parks or overcrowded dwellings.
- In 2016-2017, over 288,000 Australians sought assistance from Specialist Homelessness Services.
This year, Social Futures is supporting OTCP to present Homeless Connect Events in Lismore and Casino, providing lunch, haircuts, new clothes and emergency supplies to help the people in our communities facing homelessness this winter.
Homelessness Australia’s Everybody’s Home campaign aims to bring about an end to homelessness in Australia by 2030.